Sunday, July 5, 2009

Movie Recommendation: Repo! The Genetic Opera

Aha. A movie recommendation for my readers from yours truly!

Well, specifically this one is for those of you who like darker music, rock, with a gothic tinge.

I bet you already figured out that this movie is a musical, huh? Yeah, you're right. It is. But it's the most seriously awesome musical I have ever seen. Hell, even the Redhead likes it, and he HATES musicals.

The movie is called Repo! The Genetic Opera.

Sounds a little weird, right? Yeah, I know. But don't worry, it makes up for it.

Starring Anthony Stewart Head (aka Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Alexa Vega, Terrance Zdunich, Paris Hilton, and a variety of other colorful characters. I can't remember them all off the top of my head, I'll come back to edit this post when I think about it and look it all up.

Sometime in the middle of the 21st century, an epidemic of organ failures ravages the land. Millions die because they can't afford to replace their organs (which are readily available, for some sick reason...) as they fail. Enter GENECO, the savior of the people.

GENECO offers affordable organ prices, and for those especially poor who can't pay for it, they even offer ORGAN FINANCING. The people are saved by GENECO, hurray! They also develope Zydrate, a very expensive and VERY addictive painkiller, to help people cope with the pain of recovering from their surgeris. A black market soon develops for street Zydrate - a lot cheaper, and harvested from dead bodies. Graverobbing becomes an offense so heinous, they execute on sight.

With everyone able to finance organs whenever they need one replaced, soon it becomes whenever they WANT one replaced. GENECO carves out a nice niche - surgery as fashion. "Remember, folks - It's what's on the INSIDE that counts!"

Rotti Largo, owner and president of GENECO, with his three children, Luigi Largo (he with a killer temper. Srsly), Amber Sweet (the daughter of GENECO, coupled with an addiction to the knife and Zydrate), and Pavi Largo (a man so hung up on his looks that he kills people and steals their pretty faces), lobby a bill through Congress.

Organ reposessions become legal!

Ninety days delenquincy on your organ payment, and the Repo man comes for you. No one to help you, no one to save you as he cuts you open to remove GENECO's property... and leave you laying dead in the gutter.

Shiloh (Alexa Vega) is a young girl in this world with a blood disease that her brilliant doctor father (Anthony Stewart Head) can't seem to cure. She can't go outside, exposing herself to the air made toxic from pollution, and if she doesn't get her meds right on schedule, she collapses. Rotti Largo takes an interest in her, and the story unravels from then on, with family drama between Shiloh and her father, Rotti and the Repo man, loves had then lost, competition for the fair lady, and my personal favorite - Paris Hilton's face falling off!

I know just from reading my ADD-kid synopsis of the story, it's hard to follow, but I promise you this: It's a very addicting movie, and everyone who I've shown it to has fallen absolutely in love with the characters and especially the music.

Hell, there's a song explaining the drug Zydrate - in a nursery rhyme fasion. Gather round, kids, let's learn how to do drugs!

Go check it out. Now, I'll leave you with the video and lyrics to Zydrate Anatomy.



I can't feel nothing at all!

Drug market, sub market
Sometimes I wonder why I ever got in
Blood market, love market
Sometimes I wonder why they need me at all

Zydrate comes in a little glass vial
(A little glass vial?) (A little glass vial!)
And the Zydrate goes into the gun like a battery
(Ahh, ahh!)
And the Zydrate gun goes somewhere agianst your anatomy
(Ahh, ahh!)
And when the gun goes off, it sparks
And you're ready for surgery, surgery

Graverobber, graverobber
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother
Graverobber, graverobber
Sometimes I wonder why I need you at all

And Amber Sweet is addicted to the knife
(Addicted to the knife?) (Addicted to the knife!)
And addicted to the knife, she needs a little help with the agony
(Agony!)
And a little help comes in a little glass vial
In a gun pressed against her anatomy
And when the gun goes off, Miss Sweet is ready for surgery, surgery

Graverobber, graverobber
Sometimes I wonder why I need you at all

(It's clean, it's clear, it's pure, its rare)
It's what?
It takes you there
It what?
It takes you there

Before the cut...

I can't feel nothing at all...

Feel alive!

Mag's contract's got some mighty fine print
(Some mighty fine print?) (Some mighty fine print)
And that mighty fine print puts Mag
In a mighty fine predicament

If Mag up and splits, her eyes are forfeit
And if GENECO and Rotti so will it
Then a Repo man will come
And she'll pay for her surgery, surgery

I can't feel nothing at all!

Surgery, surgery...

No comments:

Post a Comment